Happy ending!

Now that my vacation is over, I finally have some time to show you all the finished longboard! My roommates are so happy that I’m finished, and my constant exclamations of “I’ve ruined it!” are over. They’ve continuously declared how annoying I was by startling them out of naps or whatever other important things they were doing by loud curses and laments every time I thought I had done something irreparable.

Turns out that most of my grumbling was a bit of an overreaction, because the board turned out wonderfully, and the recipient seemed to really like it. Though it didn’t turn out to be a surprise, because she is just too smart and put the pieces together herself. Guess I can forgive her for that. 

I did the stencil in gold this time around and a few more pinstripes on the front. About three coats of the red mahogany stain gave it a rich red colour that really brings out the grain. I hated to cover it in griptape! 

ImageImageAfter I had finished the graphics and clear coat layers, I started to mess around with ideas for graphics on the griptape. I didn’t want anything too difficult, as I was worried that I would mess it up and didn’t have the timeframe to reorder a custom length strip of clear tape.

So, I cut out a design that I’ve decided to use as a logo for all of my work. Since I was giving this board away, I was a little more apt to put a signature on it so people knew it was my work. This turned out to be the most time consuming part of the board – and certainly the most frustrating. The griptape is made up of a whole bunch of tiny pieces of glass that quickly dulled any razorblade that I tried to put through it. And more, it was very difficult to cut out accurately without tearing pieces away.  To avoid this, I ended up pricking tiny holes all the way along the design, and then scouring it. In this way, I was able to keep the the pieces of grip from tearing away, and from ruining countless blades. 

ImageWhen I was finished cutting out this simple design, I rolled it onto the board in the same fashion as the last.  I managed to finish this step about an hour before my girlfriend arrived, so the board sat for several days before I was finally able to work on drilling the holes for the trucks. 

THIS is the step where I admit to much yelling and cursing.  I taped over where I would drill the holes, the same as last time, and the drilling was easy enough (after another few hours of measuring and remeasuring and second guessing over and over), 

ImageBut after I drilled the holes, I got a little excited and ripped the tape off a bit too quickly, pulling chunks of the clearcoat and a layer of spray off the board. 

SOO disappointing. 

Image

Everyone assured me that it was barely noticeable, but I’m a perfectionist, and up until this point was pretty happy with the work. 

Regardless, after a few hours of stewing over it, I let it go and tacked the trucks and wheels on to give it a spin. 

ImageImage

This one has a bit of a deeper concave than the previous, and I find that I like how that feels when going down hills and turning sharper corners. All in all, it was a really fun project that was a great learning experience as well!

 

 

Advertisements

3 responses to “Happy ending!

  1. Thanks so much, you two! It’s definitely easier to notice the mistakes when you know what it was intended to look like. Everyone assures me that it looks fine, but a perfectionist is a perfectionist is a perfectionist. It’s a burden 😛

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s